Monday, February 25, 2008

Every 1/2 second a new one is born...

Heart Handmade launched in March 2008, and has become a trusted destination for handmade crafts and indie designs. HH is a combination of expertly curated product picks, interviews with designers and shop owners, and a series of insightful "how-to" features designed to help readers understand the art of creating and selling handmade crafts. From the budding newbie looking to break onto the scene to the seasoned crafter searching for ideas and inspiration, Heart Handmade is designed to appeal to a wide ranging audience with its daily dose of news, reviews and in-depth features.

The idea for Heart Handmade came from my own frustrations of trying to promote a collection of pouches that I lovingly designed. I contacted several bloggers with the hope that one of them would feature my work. But as weeks turned into months, I'd received no mentions and thus, no sales. After spending several days being down in the dumps, I decided to turn my negative experience into something positive and useful. It was clear to me that there was still a need for more outlets where like-minded independent artists can be featured.

I initially quit the corporate world in the hope of opening up my own shop filled with the work of independent artists who I admire. For one reason or another, that dream is currently on hold - so I consider this endeavor a preparatory exercise. My approach will be one of a shop proprietress. I will scour the markets and share artists and products that I would personally carry if I owned a shop, featuring items that I would buy.

Although my primary focus will be on handmade goods, Heart Handmade will also feature fair trade goods and products produced by independent designers and smaller companies who practice responsible small run manufacturing.

My hope is for Heart Handmade to become an invaluable source for crafters like myself and provide them with an extra voice to promote their products in this vast community. On the flip side, I hope it becomes the first-stop for consumers thirsty for all things with an indie spirit and a guide to newbies who are intimidated by navigating around sites like Etsy.

xo Marichelle

Join me on...

Twitter
Flickr
My shop: wunderlust
Lifeflix

Guest posts on...
decor8 (8.09)
@Design*Sponge (4.09)
Guest Curator & Host @Etsy

15 comments:

Marichelle said...

Just wanted to say welcome! to LIFEFLIX readers, thank you for stopping by!

K.T said...

Three cheers for you Marichelle.

Marichelle said...

Thanks Craft Fairy!

lovely textiles said...

Well done Marichelle & very best luck to you. x

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE your logo and use of yarn. How cute. You're off to a great steart :) - Kelli

Marichelle said...

thanks Kelli!!

Littleclouds said...

Your banner is amazing, have bookmarked your blog to read more later but liking what I see so far

:D

Me, You and Magoo said...

I can really relate to the reasons behind setting up your blog. Promoting your work is often one of the hardest parts of running a business.
I found you through the decor8 blog and was immediately drawn to your banner, it's very cool and gets the whole tone of the blog across really well.
I will definitely be back!

natashalane said...

I love your blog. I think you have made great strides in the past year and are doing wonderfully. Keep up the great work!

About Elaine said...

Hi,

Just read your story on Etsy. I like to concept of your blog.

Bookmarked!

Continued success!

suzanne.artist said...

I found you through technorati and understand how your arrived to have a blog of this nature. I turned a negative situation in to positive too three years ago and would like to share with you.

Suzanne Urban

Gail Rhyno said...

Also enjoy the concept of your blog! I've bookmarked you as well. Poured a warm coffee and will stick around to do some reading!

Digital Scraps Etc said...

What a wonderful blog! I love your banner too - so simple yet so perfect in its message. Thank you for creating this network, I look forward to following it. I would love to have you visit my blog. Best wishes.

Unknown said...

Also enjoy the concept of your blog! I look forward to following it. I would love to have you visit my blog. Best wishes.
if you like Ottoman and İslamic art please visit my handmade tiles and art work thank your interest.
http://alirizaeren.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I like your story behind this blog (: You're so nice to create this to help new sellers promote their work! I am loving this, so glad to have found it (: